Our Joey Mob meets at our hall on Thursday afternoons from 6 pm till 7pm.
Joeys are for boys and girls who have had their 6th birthday and have not yet turned 8. From about 7½ they can commence 'linking up' to Cubs. If your child is 7½ and has not yet started with Joeys you may consider going straight to Cub Scouts.
Our aims for the Joey Mob are:
- To have fun in a safe and structured environment;
- To be introduced to the world of Scouting and learn about where it all began;
- To begin to develop a sense of belonging to a structured social group outside school and sport.
Joeys are the babies of the Scouting family and as such they are looked after in a manner that one would expect. At 1st East Ryde, our Joeys typical weekly meeting is divided into 3 - 4 different activities in no particular order.
- Stories - Our Leaders will tell stories about Baden Powell (the founder of the Scouting movement) and the interesting life he had. Aboriginal stories and stories about our wonderful country - Australia.
- Games - There are literally hundreds of different games our Leaders know and teach our children to play. Some have a Scouting connection that actually teaches while they are played while others are simply for fun.
- Art & Craft - Joeys often sit around a table and do various sorts of craft usually related to an Australia theme. They might make an Australian native animal out of assorted craft material or do some colouring in.
- Community Services - Although they are young, along with our Leaders our Joeys may march at our local Memorial March on ANZAC day or participate in 'Clean up Australia Day'.
- Outings and Sleepovers - As part of our theme each term we often arrange a weekend outing, attend Joey regional functions or hold sleepovers in our fully equipped hall.
Our Joey Leaders are:
- "Mokee" (Lyn Mann) - Joey Scout Leader
- "One-Tonner" (Phillip Ward) - Assistant Joey Scout Leader